Monday, April 21, 2008

Bruxelles - Quisentially European!!!

Bruxelles is the French name for the Belgian city of Brussels. I personally like the French name. Just in case your geography is remarkably terrible, Brussels is the capital city of Belgium which is located just south of the city of Antwerp(You should know where it is =p)!!

I arrived in Bruxelles-Midi station in the afternoon feeling extremely delighted knowing the fact that this is my first city that I ever visited in mainland Europe. Honestly, it was a pretty delightful place to visit. Not many people admire this city as much as me as there are not many magnificent sights like Paris and London. They just have a simple square and antomium. Lets not forget about Brussels' famous statue, the minuscule manneken pis wearing a santa claus costume.

But it is the spirit of the city that captivates me. Brussels is home to a number of EU institutions like the European parliament. The Eurocentric feel is there beacuse abof that. I don't know why I am the only person i the world who feel that way. Besides, the city is really simple in nature and some of the modern offcie buildings have the simplicity which inspires me alot. Cuz in my mind, the ideal Europe (to me) have simple and honest looking buildings. It also have abit of the dirty Eastern European look in some places, seeing a different looking Europe is my dream come true. Its was also hazy as well, I really could feel the air of European winter.

Strange enough, Brussels is also home to my favourite Chinese restorant in Europe, jokingly called Chow Chow (Real name: Chaw Chow=p)!!! Trust me, the vegetable soup is excellent and the waffles near Grote Markt is fantastic and the chocolates as well, Fantastic. But I still find Schweiz (Switzerland) chocolates more indulgent. I do thank God that shoppers can only shop for chocolates and not wasting time on diamonds and Pradas =p!!

Alright, so you should go to Bruxelles and have fun. I promise myself to visit Brussels again and see the EU parliament and feel that I am in the most Eurocentric place in Europe. Next time, I will be there only by myself.

No comments: